Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A Culture in Shock: The Lifestyle of International Students



Life as an international student is a very strange thing. In this post, I’ll be tackling why being on a study abroad semester in Germany isn’t the same thing as spending a semester studying in Germany.

1.     Work:
As just about everyone knows, but doesn’t want to admit, your study abroad semester is not your most academically focused one. I already covered some of this in my earlier post about being a student in Germany, but it’s worth repeating: the system is different, and you spend much less time studying. This can come as a relief if your last semester back on campus was especially stressful, but for me, the fact that classes are infrequent and homework almost non-existent is not very welcome.
Let’s get this straight: I don’t like being buried in work. No human being does. But when I have classes every weekday, and assignments due for most of them, I feel like I’m actually getting something accomplished. When you rarely have class and never have work, you start to really resent showing up at all. I can’t tell you how many times I nearly skipped my Monday night lecture because I’d FORGOTTEN I HAD A CLASS AT ALL. For the most part, we want to feel like we’re doing something worthwhile, even if it means being slightly uncomfortable. Being penalized for skipping, losing points for not doing assignments, having to awkwardly explain to the professor why you didn’t read that chapter last night – sure, they suck, but they make you feel like a student. You have responsibilities, and what you do matters, at least to some extent. But if the education system doesn’t seem to take your going to classes seriously, why should you? Feeling like a part-time student when you’re actually full-time can be really defeating. Whether this is a product of the German education system, or something from Europe as a whole, I can’t say. But it’s certainly different.

2.     Self-Sufficiency:
If you’re anything like me, you’ve taken full advantage of your university’s dining service. I’m proud to say that my home university has been deemed the best in the country. I eat in one dining commons or another every meal of the day. It’s prepaid, tasty food, and most importantly, I don’t have to prepare it myself.
Another nice luxury is large, well-stocked laundry rooms in the same building where you live. Load up a basket or bag, walk to the elevator or down the stairs, and voila! — choose from any of the many washers and dryers available and come back when they finish. It shouldn’t take too long.
On campus, you don’t have to clean a kitchen or a bathroom. A custodial staff takes care of that. If something breaks, call ResLife. Usually maintenance services are provided as part of your university bill and when you submit a complaint, they fix whatever it is fairly quickly.
If you can’t sense where I’m going with this, this is a post about contrast. None of the lovely conveniences just detailed exist here. German universities usually have a Mensa, open around lunchtime, where you can get a cheap meal. But this is not a dining commons. They’re open three hours a day on weekdays, and outside of that, you’re on your own. Start buying your own groceries and learn how to cook. Or live on sandwiches and cereal.
Laundry rooms are almost never in the same building, they’re small, kinda grungy, and have far too few washers. Dryers are not common in Germany. You should find a drying rack in your apartment, or clotheslines in the basement. Washes take longer than you’d expect, so set a timer.
You need to clean your own apartment. There is a cleaning crew, but as the sign on my kitchen door hilariously reads, “The cleaning staff will not clean the kitchen if it is dirty!”. Interestingly, though they don’t clean much, you will be served a notice if they believe your living areas have become “intolerable.” Do whatever they tell you (and often they tell you nothing), or you’ll receive a bill in the mail for the extra cleaning team they send in to fix the problem.
If something breaks, use the convenient online portal. Send in a maintenance request, and ……. Nothing. It seems the portal doesn’t work. Well alright, I’ll just go talk to the residence director (Hausmeister)  ̶  what? They’re only available by phone or appointment TWO HOURS PER WEEK???? Yep. That’s German customer service for you. Hospitality is not their strong suit.
So what is there to do? Well that’s the thing about study abroad: you adapt. The conditions of living in German university housing is probably pretty similar to most people’s first apartment (Albeit, on the shittier side of first apartments, and with a really terrible landlord. But I digress.). The situation is rife to learn some self-sufficiency. I have to say I really feel like an adult. I take care of groceries, I clean my kitchen, I receive mail. Do I miss the campus lifestyle? YES. Get me back there right now. But I’m learning.

3.     Social Life (Parties and Trips)
As I’ve detailed in earlier posts, the pace of life as an international student is much faster than back home. There’s always something to do, and never a dull moment. This is a lot of the appeal of studying abroad – it’s an adventure! And I’m sure when I go home, I’ll miss that. But it can also be exhausting. Racing around Europe, drinking four nights a week, keeping strange hours… It wears you out. Whether for better or for worse, this is how being an international student often works. Everyone wants to make the most out of their experience, and the pressure to experience everything can be overwhelming.
But suppose you choose to ignore that pressure. You say, “f--- it! I don’t need to take red-eye flights for 3 hour visits to Paris! I’ll find my own way to enjoy myself!” Good for you, you’re making a stand for your principles and not giving in to peer pressure. I applaud you. Now have fun going about that alone.
 Because no one really knows each other, everyone has a pretty high tolerance for group behavior. So if someone explains that they really want to go to that party Thursday, and even a couple people agree, it can be hard to say no. Sure, you went out Tuesday night and are still recovering, but if you don’t make it to this thing Thursday, when will you see your friends? They’ll be too tired and hungover to go out Friday, or maybe even Saturday. So you bend. The same rules apply to going on trips. You might not be up to it, but hey, you can always relax next weekend, right?
 Parties and trips have a certain social gravity to them here in Study Abroad Land, and it’s hard to escape their pull. This is true back home too. But the difference here is you have one less leg to stand on. Like a customer trying to buy a product from a monopoly, if you don’t like the price, you can’t find a competing business to buy from. You’ve got to work with what you’ve got.
This isn’t always a bad thing. Sometimes it means getting out of your shell. Sometimes it means traveling to a place you never thought you’d enjoy or meeting new people in a new place doing new things. And that’s the contrast. Study Abroad is an adventure. Sometimes too much of one, but always something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment